A nearly decade-long failure of the Bowser Administration to fund and implement evidence-based strategies to prevent violence and strengthen communities has contributed to the context for increased crime and violence. Missed Opportunities: Why Inaction on Preventative Measures Undermines Public Safety in Washington, DC uncovers recent trend of a lack of leadership on proactive public safety strategies, instability in key executive agencies, and little coordination of efforts by government officials that have left the District ill-prepared to respond to alarming increases in some crimes. The brief offers a series of recommendations for District leadership:
– Improve the coordination between agencies working to prevent and address violent crime;
– Focus comprehensive resources on the specific people at the center of violence;
– Implement a holistic public health approach to violence prevention and intervention and invest in supports and services in communities;
– Fund efforts to build community trust and efficacy in policing; and
– Evaluate and sustain effective programs and initiatives.